Sunday, June 18, 2006

It's too early in the morning for this

After getting about 3 1/2 hours of sleep, we got up, had breakfast and headed to the Mannheim Hauptbahnhof (main train station -- it's the most important German word I've learned so far) to catch the train back to Hamburg. As I entered the station, a young woman wearing pajamas approached me and said something in German.

Since it wasn't "Kaffee, Tee, Wasser?" or "Hauptbahnhof," I was lost. I mentioned that I didn't speak German, so she kindly translated: "Would you like to sleep with me?"

Now keep in mind, it's 10 a.m., and I'm going INTO the station with bags in my hand, and I just got out of a cab with two other guys with bags in hand. Isn't the answer to your question a bit obvious? Besides, ich habe ein Freudlin (inside joke).

Anyway, I simply said, "No, thank you" in English and went on my way, leaving behind the extraordinarily friendly (and entreprenurial) people of Mannheim.

No comments: