Saturday, February 09, 2008

Pat Noonan's parting words

I traveled to Houston this week to freelance the United States-Mexico clasico at Reliant Stadium, and caught up with Pat Noonan following Tuesday's practice. Here are some of his thoughts as he leaves the Revolution and heads to Norway, where he'll join ex-Revs goalkeeper Adin Brown at Aalesund FK.
On the move overseas:
“I’m sure it’ll sink in once I get over there. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve got a familiar face that’ll help me with it, with Adin Brown showing me around, so hopefully that’ll make the transition a little smoother, but I’m looking forward to a new atmosphere. ...

“I’d wanted to go overseas and try something. They have a new coach, a new stadium built. It seems they’re turning things in a good direction. ... It’ll be chilly, but I’m looking forward to the experience.”
“You’re always proving yourself, I think. It’s going to be a new experience, and hopefully I can go in and fit in quickly and contribute right away, and I think if I can do that, it’ll make things a lot easier.”

In a sense, did he feel like the Revs did him a favor by not picking up his option?
“It’s the way you’ve got to look at it. It’s disappointing that they didn’t feel I was still valuable, with not picking up the option, but you know what? It’s a blessing in disguise for me to go overseas and get my foot in the door there and go from there.”
Was the Revs' decision a surprise?
“It was a surprise, no question. I did a lot (for) that organization and I know I have some good years left, so I wasn’t expecting it.”

“With any coach, all you know is they want you to perform. And whether it’s MLS or overseas, you’ve got to be performing with your club to be called into these camps.”
Health update:
“Everything’s going good. The last month’s been good in terms of strengthening and fitness, and hopefully I can go into preseason already a step ahead.”
On failing to win an MLS Cup title with the Revs:
“It’s tough. When you have three chances and you don’t come out with any, it’s tough, and it’s a bummer that I’m going to be heading out there without one. You never know what the future holds; maybe I’ll end up back there, maybe not. But it would have been nice to get one before I left.”
On friend Taylor Twellman's attempts to go to Preston North End:
“It’s a tough time because he’s got a chance to go over and play in a great league and prove himself over there, and he’s not able to do that because they don’t want to let him go. He’s had some very generous offers and they keep rejecting it, and that’s unfortunate because they’re kind of holding him back from a dream.”
On how he's left things with the Revs organization:
“I was close to a lot of people. I’m not going to start bashing them. They know I’m disappointed with their decision (but) there’s no reason to start a war.”

No comments: